Friday, October 2, 2015

Positive Notes and an Interesting Problem

You ever have that math conference hangover? You get about 21 great ideas at a conference and try to figure out how you'll incorporate one/some/all of them ASAP. Luckily, this has happened to me so many times that I would like to think I won't fall victim to it again.

In fact, one of the things the keynote speaker said last Friday was that we can really only expect to change 10% of what we do each year. So, last Friday I made some attainable goals, and instead of writing student narrative comments (that are due on Monday), I thought I'd blog about those goals instead.

I wrote my five positive notes this week - and it FELT GREAT just to write them. Saw four of the students and gave them their cards yesterday and I'll see the other one today. I also decided that I should include adults in this exercise as well. The teachers at my school are amazing and deserve some kudos too! I did write down all my students' names and put a check mark next to those that I wrote notes to this week. I'd like to make sure I write a note to each one of my students before the school year is over!

Doesn't everyone need to hear this?

I used WODB this week in Pre-Calc and hearing the justifications was FUN! I will definitely be doing that more often. 

I have been reading a ton of blogs, and everyday working on how to be a better teacher in a classroom with ProblemBL curriculum. 

Alright. This is short, and more for my own reflection than anything else. And I really need to start those comments....but I'll leave you with a great problem that created a lot of conversation in my classroom this week: 

"Alex is in the desert again, 10 km from a long straight road and 45 km from base camp, also in the desert.  Base camp is also 10 km from the road on the same side of the road that Alex is.  On the road, the jeep can do 50 kph, but in the desert sands, it can manage only 30 kph. Alex wants to return to base camp as quickly as possible after driving on the road to collect a dirt sample.  How quickly can he manage this trip?"

My freshmen in Geometry Honors were working on this problem -- Any thoughts?


1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! I appreciate the kiddos to your kids!

    ReplyDelete