Tuesday, January 12, 2016

A Day in the Life



4:00am: The alarm sounds. The cat is already meowing, and luckily the coffee is already brewed (thank you automatic timer!)

4:10am-4:40am: Drink coffee. Read Twitter. Chat with the wife. Read blogs. Snuggle the dog. Get ready to go workout.

4:50am: Arrive at OrangeTheory Fitness. Have an awesome hour workout!

6:05am: Arrive back home to shower, make breakfast, pack lunch, and take the dog (Einstein) to daycare!



7:20am: After dropping off Einstein, arrive at school and take a look at the day's plans. Got to touch base with several teachers, grab a cup of coffee, work with a student who missed class due to illness, eat most of my breakfast (roasted sweet potatoes, arugula, eggs, and avocado...yum!), and still get to class 5 minutes before it started!

7:55am: I walk into my classroom (we have shared classroom spaces and our "home base" is a shared office space), and my Geometry students have already put the problems up around the room and a few are writing down their solutions on the whiteboard (we use a Problem-Based Curriculum, where each day in class is mostly spent talking about their solutions from problems they tried the night before). We spend the hour sitting around a big table and having awesome math conversations! We finished the problems with 5 minutes to spare, so we decided to do a few "WODB" problems. Super fun!

9:05am: This period is an hour of proctoring. This period is one of my off periods - and once every cycle (we run a 7 day cycle), I proctor. This means that if students miss class, teachers can put their assessments in a bin and every period of the day (and even for an hour after school), there is a teacher to proctor for them. No individual make-up schedules are needed -- it's pretty awesome! Since it's the beginning of the semester, no one showed up today, which just means I got to work on my blog and start to make a spreadsheet for AP Test billing (I'm also the AP Coordinator for my school.)

10:05am: Break! We have a break scheduled in everyday except Wednesday (we have late start on Wednesday instead), and often students will come in to get help. I had three today working through some homework questions. I refilled my water and was off to the next class!

10:20am: This is my first Precalc class today, and we're working on a trig unit. We started with a timed unit circle. Students are attempting to beat their accuracy/time from the last time they did it. Everyone made improvements today! We then spent time going over homework and then working on a quiz review at their tables (4 to a table). Students had LOTS of questions, so I was walking around the whole time! (5500 steps today already!)

11:45am: Our community time today was assembly. We had a representative from FCD: Freedom from Chemical Dependency. She was awesome! Played a game of Simon Says (the best I've ever seen!) and related all of it to drug use. They'll be here all week working with our sophomore students and parents and available for all students to talk to during lunch. They also meet with the seniors at some point too.

12:05pm: Office hours. I had 4 students in today working through the Unit Circle in more detail, and one geometry student that was stuck on one of last night's homework problems.

12:35pm: Finally got to heat up my lunch! I decided to stay in my office to eat so I could not be as rushed walking up to the dining hall. (I should mention we have amazing lunch, and it's free for faculty, but I'm currently doing #Whole30, so I bring all my food!) Sidenote: my division head mentioned how much he enjoyed overhearing my math conversation during office hours! Win! While eating, a student stopped by to tell me she wasn't feeling well, so I tried to fill her in on what she would be missing.

1:05pm: Class time! Back to Geometry again. Students were presenting problems at the board, and we had some great discussion about problems. I take notes while students are presenting on who is contributing to class, who is taking notes, and I also write the names of the students presenting solutions and write their solutions. (This is the first year I've taught with these materials, so I think it's super important to write everything down!)
(I asked students if I could take this picture and post it on my blog....then they wanted to know what my blog was. So I might have some freshmen reading my math teacher blog. I don't know how exciting they'll find it, but okay!)

2:10pm: Last class of the day! Starting with a timed unit circle (this is my other Pre-Calc class!) We did the same things as my earlier Pre-Calculus class. 

3:10pm: Technically the end of the day...but stayed in the classroom to work with a student for another 10 minutes. Then came back to my office where I had two more students waiting and worked with them another 20 minutes! 

3:30pm: Tutored a student in Geometry for an hour!

4:30pm: Working on some remaining AP work before heading to pick up Einstein from daycare! Phew! Then home to heat up dinner and relax with my wife. What a day! 

*Update* Left work at 5:30pm after working on AP stuff. After picking up the dog, arrived home at 6:15pm and immediately had to jump on my computer to answer a few student emails and post an answer key I (somehow) forgot to post before leaving work. Phew! Dinnertime?





9 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your day! Inspired to see you doing OrangeTheory and Whole30...I'm trying to figure out how to reclaim my old fitness lifestyle when I return from maternity leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a day! I love the way you refer to things happening in your class as "we". This paints quite a different picture than one in which the teacher does everything! Thank you for sharing your Day in the Life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who sees you in action everyday (as your officemate), what impresses me most is your calm, caring, and patient support of your students. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. It really seems as we teachers never get breaks, but I kind of really like that. Good job. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Einstein looks like a boss. And goodness that's early. I thought I was a morning person feeling good at 5:30. That's a short break at 10:05. That's great that kids still come in to take advantage of just a little bit of extra help. One of my colleagues does the Problem Based Learning Curriculum using many of the Exeter problems. He's been doing it for several years and is always excited to talk to anyone about it. He's @pfrasier on Twitter :)

    So I did a day in the life blog like back in November so I'll share that :)
    http://wp.me/p3LdGY-gy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Einstein looks like a boss. And goodness that's early. I thought I was a morning person feeling good at 5:30. That's a short break at 10:05. That's great that kids still come in to take advantage of just a little bit of extra help. One of my colleagues does the Problem Based Learning Curriculum using many of the Exeter problems. He's been doing it for several years and is always excited to talk to anyone about it. He's @pfrasier on Twitter :)

    So I did a day in the life blog like back in November so I'll share that :)
    http://wp.me/p3LdGY-gy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew! You accomplished so much. I can't seem to do any earlier than 5:30am. I admire those who get in that early morning workout! It sounds like your students get a great deal of support from you. Thank you for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew! You accomplished so much. I can't seem to do any earlier than 5:30am. I admire those who get in that early morning workout! It sounds like your students get a great deal of support from you. Thank you for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very neat to hear about the scheduling at your school - quite unique! Thanks for sharing your day.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete