Friday, July 22, 2016

Whirlwind/TMC Recap and Goals

I'm currently sitting in the Boston airport waiting to board my flight back to Denver. The past week has been crazy. Let me explain...

Last Thursday, AJ and I drove about 15 hours to Minneapolis (with the dog in tow too). We explored and had some time together on Friday (I didn't sign up early enough for the Demos pre-conference...learned my lesson!). Saturday and Sunday were filled with awesome TMC moments - including my first ever conference presentation!

Then Monday was our 1 year anniversary! I left the conference early so I could drive back to Denver with the wife and so we could at least be together on our anniversary. We arrived back in Denver at 6pm and we were on our way to the airport at 6 the next morning. I flew into Boston on Tuesday afternoon, rented a car and drove the 2.5 hours to Deerfield for the Problem-Based Learning Math Summit. Presented on Wednesday and immersed myself in great conversations for two days. I'm ready to be home!

My general experience at any conference is one of excitement, generally followed by everything feeling overwhelming. I have so many ideas! How do I figure out what to do and change in my classroom?

I have three main goals/take-aways from TMC (apart from our #MTBoS community being SO INCREDIBLE)!

  • I will blog more regularly this year as a way to reflect on my teaching. My goal is to blog at least once a week.
  • I will schedule regular feedback meetings with students. I want more one-on-one face time with my students, and our schedule and class size allow me to do this. I will have an opportunity to give verbal feedback to ALL of my students regularly. 
  • I want to give partner quizzes in my classes as a way of reducing anxiety about what my assessments will be about (I will talk a little bit about this in my PBL summit post too)
Overall, TMC was awesome. I'm hoping I can make it to Atlanta next year! Since I was there with my wife, I feel as if I kind of missed out on some of the opportunities to hang out in the evenings. I struggled with that, but love that NO ONE made me feel bad about not being at certain activities.

*I'm struggling to upload photos...they'll be uploaded when I get home! 

I'll blog a bit about the PBL Math Summit soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment