Sunday, August 7, 2016

Back to School Night

As many schools do, my school hosts a Back to School night where we invite parents in to meet teachers and get a glimpse into what we do in our classrooms.

The problem is always how can we possibly do that in ten minutes? I want them to know who I am and that I care about their kids and believe in them. Really, that's what they come to BTSN for! Last year, we were beginning problem based learning in geometry, so I spent time talking about that...I think I realized that the focus shouldn't be there. I should maybe think about giving handouts as parents leave - so if they want more information they would have a resource. Ultimately, I want them to walk out the door feeling as if I care about each and every one of their children!

What do you do on BTSN? Would you be willing to share with me? Do you have any specific suggestions for me? I normally create a PowerPoint/prezi/Google slides of some sort to keep me on task and with my reminders of what I need to say. What things would you include?

I should mention that BTSN is generally one of the most stressful things for me. At least it is in the lead up to it. Once I'm in it, it's fine. But, I think about it a lot! Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions. (Keep in mind ten minutes for each group of parents!)

4 comments:

  1. I've been doing an IGNITE talk for my parents the last few years. It forces me to focus my presentation, it always leaves time for questions, and they enjoy it. I also always start out with a puzzle of some sort to come back to and have a brief math discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this idea and will be doing the Global Math Dept meeting tomorrow night to get an idea for myself!

      Delete
  2. We also have 10 minutes per class, so I would love to brainstorm with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow night's Global Math Dept is about Back to school night! I'll be there! You should too - maybe it will help get us motivated!

      Delete