Monday, August 8, 2016

The Struggle of a PLC

Last year, our school had us (let us?) create our own PLCs for professional development throughout the year. So many teachers are used to sitting in those meetings where someone has either chosen a topic or a speaker that simply aren't wonderful. I love the idea of taking charge over my own learning.

Here's how it goes: anyone can propose a PLC. They create it in our Google Doc, give a basic description of what we'll do all year, and then make sure to plan for each meeting. So, I did this last year. I ran a PLC on blogging, twitter, etc. I had three people sign up, all with varying levels of interest and experience. As many of you in the MTBoS, I am a twitter evangelist (thank you @saravdwerf for putting that into my vocabulary!). I found that I planned for things, but I didn't personally learn a lot more about blogging, twitter, etc. So it felt like it was about other people's learning and not my own. And how does that PLC really work for me?

Flash forward to this year...I have the opportunity to again create one or to sign up for one. What would YOU do? I heard that a group last year that was run by my division head read a book, one chapter at a time, and then discussed the chapter each time they met. In that case, I'd be learning and not have to do extra work....(thinking about reading Mathematical Mindsets...thoughts?)

OR there are a few groups that sound like they would be great....

Any advice? What would YOU do? It's not as if it takes up THAT much extra time. That said, I have 3 preps - and one is brand new. And in the Spring, life gets a little hectic since I coordinate AP exams. (Just so you know what my responsibilities are!) Anyway...I digress...thoughts please?!

1 comment:

  1. Reading a book is a good idea. I'm interested in reading this with a group of math teachers in my district: https://teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/teacher/572d29b7019a1077071ce919

    Alternatively, for 2 years I coached our math department and we did a bunch of brainstorming and ultimately chose 1 concept we all wanted to improve on: formative assessment. We each interpreted it differently, which was great. So each time we met, we agreed to try 1 new tool...a data wall, exit quizzes, etc. and would come back together and talk about what we tried, how it went, what we learned, etc. Sooner or later, we ended up trying what someone else had tried, but we never forced ourselves to all do the same thing at the same time. We just had the same lense to look through. This could easily be done as a PLC, not just a math department thing.

    ReplyDelete