Friday, September 16, 2016

Backseat

For the past two years, I have been lucky enough to have only 2 preps (Geometry Honors and Pre-Calculus). This year, I have a new prep (Algebra 2 Honors) on top of the other two. Now, it's not the first time I've had 3 preps. But it's the first time I've had three preps while married, and while trying to make sure i have a great work-life balance. When I first moved to Denver and was single, it felt easier to spend all my waking hours preparing things for my three classes. Now, I feel like I'm taking away valuable time from my family (and I don't even have children...I don't know how you folks do it!)

This is the second year that I'm teaching a PrBL Geometry class, and I still do each problem before students do them. I could probably "get away" with not doing that, but they go a lot faster this year and I think I'm reminded of past approaches as I walk through a problem. I don't want to give that up. In Algebra 2 Honors, it's a new prep. I can't get away from creating things! I have a lot of material to work with, since a teacher who taught the class for many years shared all her stuff with me (and she is totally the type of teacher to take and make things better year after year...so I didn't simply inherit materials that have been static for years! Woohoo!) I still have to work a lot to make those materials "my own." Thankfully, another teacher is teaching it too - so we can split up some of the work.

Then, there's Pre-Calc. The class I've been teaching every year since I started. And I feel like this one (in terms of prep) is always last on my list because I have so many of my old resources to use. And I feel like it's getting an unfair backseat. I recognized this week how much different this class FEELS than my others. Is it a culture thing? Do I treat them differently because they're older? The class is SO quiet. It's sometimes hard to get them to interact. I have to figure out a way to change this....

I have a test planned for Monday (I already don't like giving tests Monday) and I'm thinking of postponing it. We could spend a day finishing our "Me by the Numbers" presentations, doing a class-building activity (thinking about one I recently read about having students argue their favorite numbers using research), and a Desmos activity to practice fitting quadratics (since that's part of what we're studying this unit). Okay. Writing that paragraph made me realize that I really need to do that. AND IT SHALL BE DONE.

And moving forward, I need to put a little more effort into this class. No more backseat for Pre-Calc. Three can sit in the front seat....right?

Happy Friday ya'll!

1 comment:

  1. Papers are of four sorts like explanatory, powerful, pugnacious and investigative. Keeping in touch with them requests center and abilities which should be produced with due consideration. It regards take direction while composing papers at cutting edge level. My tutor suggest me pay for essay to write my term papers.

    ReplyDelete